Monday, September 9, 2013

Lessons from Liberty Jail.

I just finished listening to a CES fireside from 2007 by Elder Holland. He focused on the Prophet Joseph Smith and the hard times he and six others experienced in Liberty Jail. I've always loved the sections that Joseph wrote there, they have brought me such comfort during different times in my life. The points that Elder Holland pointed out were so insightful and just what I needed to hear. I won't say too much about it, other than go listen! You can find it HERE. And...here are some of my notes/favorite points.

1. Everyone, including the righteous, will be called upon to face trying times.

  • God has not abandoned us!! He is there, and feels for us. We must continue when hard times come, God hears your crys and He is your father
  • Through it all God is with us.

2. We need to realize that just because difficult things happen, it does not mean we are not righteous, or that we are not worthy of blessings.

  • The path of salvation has always led one way or another through Gethsemane.
  • We cannot expect that we are not going to face some trials if we still intend to call ourselves His disciples and true followers. 
  • However heavy our load might be, it would be much heavier if it weren't for Christ and suffering them for us.
3. In the midst of these difficult feelings, when one could justifiably be angry, the Lord reminds us from the Liberty Jail that the rights of the Priesthood are inseperately connected with the powers of heaven.

  • Remember your covenants. Live the gospel at all times, not just when things are going well. 
  • When things aren't going smoothly, that is when we see what we're made of and how truly committed we are to the gospel.
  • The powers of heaven cannot be controlled or handled, except for upon the principles of righteousness.


"Every experience can become a redemptive experience. If we remain bonded to our Father in Heaven through that difficulty. ... Man's extremity is God's opportunity."

I love the Prophet Joseph Smith, and am so grateful for the sacrifices he made to bring forth the gospel of Jesus Christ. I know that God is with us through everything, no matter how small or insignificant we may feel that it is. Turn to Him, He will strengthen, guide and comfort. I know God lives, I know He loves each of us and I love Him with all my heart. I know that as hard as it might be sometimes, trust in Him. He knows you better than you yourself do and He wants the very best. I testify that God does hear your prayers, and He never leaves your side. I know that trials can bless us more than we can imagine, and as we face them with a happy heart and faith, everything will work out. Jesus Christ and Heavenly Father are close, especially during trials. They will never depart from you. You matter to Them. 

The closing song that Elder Holland mentioned was 'My kindness shall not depart from thee.' That has always been a favorite and is so powerful. Take a listen to that too. :)
"Therefore, dearly beloved brethren, let us cheerfully do all things that lie in our power; and then may we stand still, with the utmost assurance, to see the salvation of God, and for his arm to be revealed." - D & C 123:17 

No comments: